What is the Color-Brave Community (CBC)?
We are an online community of learning and practice where parents and educators to young children (0-8 years) learn from and with each other to create spaces that nourish children of color, children who fully embrace their own - and each others’ - humanity. Supporting adults to raise all children to embrace their own and each others' humanity is part of the larger work of EmbraceRace. But because the needs and aspirations of children of color are so often de-centered, the EmbraceRace Color-Brave Community centers them.
Who is the CBC for?
Parents, family members, educators, or other adults with a meaningful role in the lives of one or more young (0-8) children of color.
What does the CBC offer?
Social Learning Group (SLG) on Facebook
Our Color-Brave Community Social Learning Group is hosted on Facebook. It's a private group made up of families and educators of children of color to learn, self-examine and share experiences with one another. Through monthly themes, webinars (the webinars are open to the entire ER community), Facebook reflections, a resource repository and weekly discussions, the group comes together to build their capacity to support and sustain Color-Brave children of color.
Every other month, as part of our monthly Talking Race & Kids webinar series, we feature a webinar that focuses on issues relevant to raising and mentoring children in early childhood and expound on it in our SLGs and COLPs.
Communities of Learning & Practice (COLPs)
New COLPs will start three times a year and participation will be determined via an application process. Each COLP will be made up of a small group of individuals who are committed to doing the work of supporting young children of color to be brave, thoughtful, and informed about race. The groups will meet for 5 one-hour sessions that will be held every other week. These are not sit and get training sessions but rather a chance to explore ideas, share experiences, and learn from and with others in the group.
- Join our Fall 2022 COLP sessions! The next cycle will run over 10 weeks, from the week of September 12 to the week of November 7. The series consists of five 1-hour group meetings, every other week. There is a sliding scale cost of $25 - $100 for the entire series.
Are you a guardian, parent or teacher raising and mentoring one or more children of color ages 0 to 8? Consider joining and building this learning community with us from the start!
- Join the Color-Brave Community's Social Learning Group on FaceBook. Here's where you'll meet your peers, participate in moderated discussions and learn about monthly webinars and weekly Zoom discussions.
- Join one of our Communities of Learning and Practice - register now for our upcoming Fall 2022 sessions!
- Any questions/concerns? Email us at email@example.com.
Early Childhood Resources
Supporting Healthy Racial Learning in Early Childhood - myriad resources from EmbraceRace
Related learning modules organized by community questions
- How can families and educators collaborate to promote healthy racial learning?
- What is the personal race work I can do as an adult?
- How can I use picture books to talk about race?
- How can I help my children of color develop a healthy racial identity?
- How do I talk about race with young children?
- Why is it important to talk to children about race?